Friday, September 28, 2018

Muscat... What is it like to live in this city?

You have read about Muscat on blogs from visitors… A few pages of Wathsi's Diary have brought to you stories from the mountains, deserts and other beautiful places in this land. But now that I’m away, while I hope this is not the last story I get to tell about Muscat, here’s what it looked like for me as an expat in this city…

28th September 2018,

Its been five months since I left this beautiful city… Muscat. I always called it ‘My home away from home’.

Three years back, Muscat welcomed me with her arms wide open. Everything about the country was so welcoming, cosy, lavish and having family there was the cherry on the top.

Ever since I left Muscat I have been missing it. Well, I was not born there. I did not spend a lifetime there. Then what did I find so fascinating? What is Muscat to me?


PC: http://www.india.com/news-travel/15-amazing-photos-of-muscat-the-largest-city-and-capital-of-oman-3226923/

Muscat to me… is waiting for the rain that happens twice a year to sit by the window and enjoy a cup of coffee. The snow-less winters that are not too cold. The summers that have no mercy. Despite these unforgiving climates, Muscat does one thing right that amazes me to date. That is, the way they have beautiful flowers and so much greenery on either sides of the roads across all seasons.

Muscat to me… is seeing men wearing their national dress “dishdasha” (a long robe which is usually in white, although a few other colors like lilac, brown or black are worn sometimes) all day, every day. It amazes me, how this floor length robe is always so dazzling white even on those who work outside of an office all day. The neat beautiful embroidery and design work done on the black abayas worn by the ladies have always fascinated me.  While wearing a dress that fully covers from head to toe, the ladies are fashionable in their own way carrying stylish handbags and wearing lovely shoes. If you are a shoe lover like me, this city will make you not want to leave.

Muscat to me… is the sweet aroma that one gets when they enter an Omani Halwa Shop followed by the most welcoming gesture by the vendor. Omani Halwa is a gelatinous sweet that comes in traditional and many new flavours. The vendors in these shops allow you to taste as many flavours as you can before you decide which one you want to buy. They never forget to treat you with a cup of Qahwa (freshly brewed Omani coffee) that soothes the taste buds after the overdose of sugar from the tasting.

Muscat to me… are all those food spots. The amazing shawarma and chai in the coffee shops, the ever-so-tasty Hyderabadi biriyani, the stuffed parathas and chicken tikka that makes me want to go back there. The drive down streets of Al Khuwair and Al Qurm deciding which place to dine in, and always finding something new to try around the corner. Not only Omani Restaurants, but Japanese, Turkish, Lebanese, Pakistani, Indian and cuisines from many more nations worldwide are available on these streets that can give a treat to your taste buds as you dine-out.

Muscat to me… are the gala festivals. The food festivals that embrace the modern culture, is a paradise on earth for the foodies. The winter festival that brings the season’s feeling closer to heart in the chilly atmosphere with entertainment that keeps the people of all ages amused. And of course, the Muscat Festival where celebrations happen all over Muscat and very specially the mega carnivals that boast the Omani culture and displays magnificent fireworks and many more, in both Nazeem Park and Al Amerat.

Muscat to me… are my friendly colleagues and their constant attempts to teach me Arabic. I do believe I caught a few lines here and there. But none of them ever made me feel uncomfortable because I didn’t speak their language. Instead, they taught me a few things every now and then that helped me in the long run. More than that, I think they were very supportive of the fact that I was interested in learning their language.
 
Muscat to me… are the mornings and evenings spent at the beach. The lazy waves and the calm sea set the perfect atmosphere for anyone who needs to relax and spend some quality time at the beach. Sometimes we went there to take a dip in the ocean and watch the sunset over the waves. The other times, we spent wonderful nights doing BBQs with friends or simply sat on a bench enjoying an ice cream.

Muscat to me… are the days spent in malls and late nights at the movies. The lively shopping malls where I’ve spent most of my weekends in. The days we spent roaming in malls that are ideal to shop till you drop, to please your taste buds and so much more. In these malls, we could easily spend many hours and not know where the time flew. The late-night movies at Vox Cinema and City Cinema accompanied by cheesy nachos and caramel popcorn. IMAX, 4DX and MX4D are cinema experiences that everyone can enjoy in this city.

Muscat to me… is the Big Red Bus. Buses with air conditioning and in-built access to Wifi, that pass through a number of stops, every 10 – 15 minutes in various routes of Muscat, is one of the most successful projects of Mwasalat – a government owned company, that improved the mode of public transportation in the city. Being a lady who doesn’t drive, this became one of the most convenient and safe ways for me to get from point A to B within the city.
 
Muscat to me... is the patriotism within the hearts of the people. They get exhilarated on the birthday of His Majesty. Playing horns on the roads, carrying flags, rallying in groups, demonstrating their heartfelt love and gratitude towards their leader. They celebrate their National Day like it’s a grand festival in the country. With traditional dancing and singing, beautiful lighting decorations on the roads, vehicles that cover in National Day themed stickers, indoor decorations, crazy offers in malls, yes, it’s Christmas in Muscat on their National Day. And all this is arranged by the people in their love for their King and their love for the country. Omanis are hardcore patriots and it’s beautiful to see how they talk about their nation beaming with pride.

Muscat to me… is the Muscat Madness Family. I believe, not everyone is blessed, to fly to a new territory and still find people who care for you like your own family. To meet people who accepts you as one of their own. To have someone by your side when you need them the most. But thanks to my sister, I was blessed to be a part of this amazing group of people. Together we call ourselves, the Muscat Madness Family and as true to its meaning, we spent most weekend evenings filled with laughter, fun and madness. It is with this troop I’ve explored most of Oman and whenever we did, we definitely made many sweet memories and stories for later.

Most of all, Muscat to me… are the days that I spent with my sister and family. The days we did cooking experiments, inspired by every episode of MasterChef Australia. The nights we spent chatting till three in the morning. The days we arranged surprise birthday parties for each other. The tired after-work evenings we spent having chicken lollipops, samosas and tea. The random dinner-outs. Lazy Fridays spent on the couch playing each ones favourite retros on YouTube. The Saturday special lunches my sister would prepare while I sat in the kitchen doing petty things to help her. All the different places we tried biriyani and not being able to tell which one’s the best. The late-night movies followed by even late brunches. The New Year celebrations with Mom and Dad who visited us once a year. All those joyous moments we spent together and memories that leave me nostalgic.

Muscat to me… is all this, and many more. The place I’ve met a very humble group of colleagues, good friends, a second family and many memories I hold close to my heart. 

My time in Muscat sadly came to an end sooner than I expected. But I will always visit this place whenever I could, and I know that I will always feel welcomed. 

It makes me sad when I read negative blogs from people visiting Muscat, because they came across one arrogant local, one offensive cab driver, one bad hotel, etc. But don’t we come across all that in every other country we visit. Maybe you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. But if you live in this beautiful city, I’m sure the day you leave, you will miss it too, just like I do now.


Until we meet again...

Wathsala Perera

No comments:

Post a Comment